Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Wine Blogging Wednesday #14

I am jumping the gun by posting early (as have about 5 others) so that I can work on the ReCap, and I have an all day golf tournament to attend. Also, let this serve as a reminder for other bloggers that tomorrow is The Day.

This month's topic is New New World Pinot Noir. That is Pinot from someplace other than France or the West Coast of the US. I personally think Oregon is producing some of the best Pinots right now but then again I like lots of fruit and a big nose. I was curious to see Pinots from other areas so I issued the challenge to seek out other Pinots.

2002 Dyed-in-the Wool, "Unchangeable" Pinot Noir ($15) -- Cantebury, New Zealand. In my search for "new" Pinots this one caught my eye while ordering lunch at Carls in Hyde Park. I thought they only produced Sauvignon Blanc in the grapefruit/grass style there. Couldn't find much about the producer on the label or the internet, but the color was a pale red, the aroma was light and I did't find much fruit or finish. In a word, simple. I would pass next time.

I have recently enjoyed some Chilean Pinots for the same price with tons of fruit and finish with much more complexity, and for $35 have really enjoyed a big Spanish Pinot from Torres.

I had not planned tasting more than one wine, but I didn't want to end with a mediocre choice. So here is one from the past.

2000 T'Gallant Pinot Noir ($15) -- Mornington Peninsula, Australia. Pale red color whith a big smokey/bacony nose, full, soft fruits and a long finish with structure. Went great with leftover grilled pork chops and summer squash and a movie, "Ghandi". At its original price of $30 it has competition, but marked down to $15, it's a steal.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hear me now,
You be soundin' like Ali G playin da Snoop.

New School postin up yo: http://www.cellarrat.org/archives/2005/10/wine_blogging_w.html

Pocket protector showing... Guess I'm not so full of da shizzle.

Wes'side.

rat

11:47 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Jens,

I've put up my WIne Blogging Wednesday entry at http://gtf.org/viti-culture/2005/10/wine-blogging-wednesday.html

This was a fun challenge, thanks!

2:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here you go my contribution to WBW....Thanks for hosting!

http://www.catavino.net/archives/132/2005/10/06/

-Ryan

7:23 AM  
Blogger MariĆ«lla said...

Hello Jens,

on the other side of the ocean, I just discovered Wine Blogging Wednesday. A day too late to take part in the 14th issue, alas. I love Pinot Noir!
Next time I would like to take part, so I hope you can let me know when and where I will find the information on the 15th Wine Blogging Wednesday.
I write a blog, www.wijnlog.blogspot.com, in Dutch on wine, but of course I'll write my WBW-entries in English.
Hope to hear from you,
Mariƫlla

8:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My entry is posted:
http://winecast.net/?p=230

Thanks for hosting, Jens!

8:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jens:

Thanks for letting me know about this! My Kiwi Pinot is posted at

Dayton Daily News web site.

Cheers!
Mark
www.daytondailynews.com/wineblog

12:19 PM  
Blogger Lisa the Waitress said...

Hello! Here is my entry for Wine Blogging Wednesday. Yes, I realize it is Thursday.

Cheers,
Lisa

http://www.restaurantwidow.com/2005/10/wbw_new_new_wor.html

8:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oops! I just saw "new world"

And, well, went with something from CA - DON'T KILL ME!

(as it was really good - and CHEAP!)

http://flow.arrr.net/wine.shtml#49

12:01 AM  
Blogger jens at cincinnati wine said...

Thank you all for the entries! I can't wait to read in depth and more importantly try some of these wines as they cross my path.

Cheers,

jens at cincinnati wine garage

11:32 AM  
Blogger Sam said...

oh shoot.
i thought this was today not last wednesday.
I bought the wine (NZ Jibe that was crap) took the pictures (I made it look nice), but have had a bad cold for over a week and havent been able to taste anything properly because alcohol makes me cough.
So I guess i totally messed up and missed it anyway.

sorry!

1:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home