Monday, October 03, 2005

California Italians

2001 Monte Volpe "Peppolino" ($22) -- Red Wine, Mendocino, CA. According to the back label, this is a proprietary blend of 3 Italian varietals aged 18 months in French oak of which 30% is new. Greg Graziano is the owner/winemaker. The website PDF lists the varietals as Sangiovese, Montelpulciano and Negraomaro (34/33/33) with 210 cases produced.

Big nose and fruit with a medium finish. Great food wine with lots of stuff. I recently mixed this wine into a a case of mixed Italians and Chiantis for a friend. I am still waiting for the feedback.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can already feel the flavor clinging on my throat. In my opinion, Italian wine ranks as one of the bsest in the world. What I really like is the aroma and how it blends in the body. I feel like heaven is beside me once I gulp a glass on the rocks.

1:05 AM  
Blogger jens at cincinnati wine said...

On the rocks isn't my first choice, but it's your fantasy!

10:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home