Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Vina Alarba OVG

2004 Vina Alarba OVG ($8) -- Old Vine Grenache from Calatayud Spain. Another Jorge Ordonez selection. I read a wine blog recently that said you can't go wrong in selecting a Spanish wine if it is imported by Jorge. I agree. I can't remember having a wine of his that did not have a ton of fruit at a great value. I got a berry nose and soft, full-fruit flavors with this one.

The OVG is from 50 year old vines at 2,500 feet. More approachable and better structure than the 2003. Eight bucks! Unbelievable! But as my friends at "Wine Waves" would say, the closure is a plastic plug, which I really dislike. A screwcap (or real cork even) would be better.

Someone in the wine business was recently quoted in a Cincinnati newspaper opinionating that there are no good wines under $10. Couldn't be done. I disagree! So does Mr. Parker when he gave this wine a 90 rating a few months ago.

(One of these days I will find the keys to make those squiggly N's and accented E's! Any help?)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with you on this wine; extremely smooth, beats the pants off of most wines in this price range. But, yes, the plastic cork does take off some points.

7:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am drinking some now.

Incredible value.

I could not believe a 90 rating from Parker for $10.

4:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home