Saturday, October 15, 2005

Psst, Hey Buddy Want Some Hot Wine?

2003 Waterstone Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon ($20) -- California. I responded to one of the daily e-mails I get from Sokolin's and took a flyer on this mystery juice. The story is that the juice is from a cult producer whose name can't be mentioned. Internet searches suggest that it is from Harlan Estates but I am only repeating a rumor here.

According to the website the wine is a blend of Cab (92%), Cab Franc, Merlot, Malbec and Petit Verdot aged 18 months in 85% new French oak. 4,400 cases produced.

The color is dark red/purple, with aromas of cedar and dark fruit. The flavors are intense and complex with a long finish. All that for $20. The mystery wine supposedly sells for three figures if you can get on the list. I'm sold and wish I could legally sell some versus sereptitiously buying a case from a New York competitor.

10/18 Update: The winery contacted me and the wine is in Ohio. I should have inventory shortly although it may be the 2002 which is from the same sources as the 2003. One of the owners commented via e-mail that the 2002 is long gone from his inventory but should be drinking great with an extra year of bottle age.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home