Friday, December 24, 2004

"The Best White Wine"

Cullen, Margaret River "Ephraim Clark" 2003 ($33) -- Australia. I don't know much about this producer, but the wine rep and the guy who runs the warehouse at a local distributor both said it is "the best white wine they have tasted!" These wines have the Parker scores in the mid 90's for the last few vintages. The 2003 is a Semillon (54%) and Sauvignon Blanc (46%) blend. Although I prefer reds, I very much liked this wine. The balance from start to a long finish is superb. The fruits are nuanced, clean and compelling. I did not taste much oak as only 34% is fermented in new oak. The back label says the wine will age for 10 years! Impressive! I guess this is more of a French style compared to the California Chardonnay style. I love the Hansel Chardonnays, in particular, the "Cahill Lane", but if you like a cleaner, tighter taste, this is it. And if you are drinking $30 whites, you must try this. It may become your favorite!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home