Monday, November 07, 2005

Box Wines

By happenstance I have recently tasted a few box wines as I think the packaging does make sense for certain parties and on-the-go functions. In the past the box wines have suffered (along with those who consumed the product) from having crappy, cheap wine in them. I think that is changing in the U.S. Although I will always prefer a better bottle of wine to a box, it has its place. It is perfect for grabbing a glass while I wait for my date to get dressed, and wait (and wait!) when I don't want to open a new bottle. It would be great for those who only drink an occassional glass now and then (that's not me). And it would be great for tailgating or a picnic. Further, it is claimed that the wines will last for weeks or a month or more after opening. I am currently testing this notion at the shop. But first, the wine must be drinkable. Let's hope that Fred Franzia at Bronco Wines doesn't get wind of this.

2003 Cuvee de Pena ($22) -- I have reviewed this wine previously. It is a Grenache, Syrah, Carignan, Mourvedre blend from the South West corner of France near Spain by Chateau de Pena. (Hopefully the rioters have enough sense to leave this little gem alone!) After being opened for two weeks, so far so good. This is my favorite boxed red wine so far.

Black Box Monterey County Chardonnay ($24) -- California. Fruit aromas, clean, crisp fruits similar to a California Sauvignon Blanc. I would guess not much wood. If you like your Chards unwooded with little butter, you will like this. I couldn't find a vintage date, but there is a "born on" date of March, 2005.

I will add to this post as I review more boxes. Remember the spigot is always open here!

2 Comments:

Blogger Dr. Vino said...

I agree Jens, Cuvee de Pena 3L is a great value. But I've gotten it for $18 in NYC--a lower price per ounce!

10:10 PM  
Blogger jens at cincinnati wine said...

Next time I am in the City, I will pick up a truck load!

10:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home