Friday, November 19, 2004

Rabbit Ridge Tasting

Rabbit Ridge, Paso Robles Pinot Noir 2003 ($17) -- California; I thought the Rabbit was supermarket wine (and the lower priced cuvees are), but the small production Paso Robles was very nice. I tasted the Cab and the Barrel Cuvee Sauvignon Blanc, but liked the Pinot the best. 600 cases, 100% French oak; very smooth with structure.

Side note: having tasted 3 high-end wines by the glass in a certain $8,000 gas box, I would be very suspicious of its value. All the wines had a funny (not ha-ha) medicinal, off-putting nose and were closed and received no more than 2 star ratings (out of 5). I will need to re-taste the wines in question (Mt Veeder, Per Siempe, La Jota Howell Mountain). I know commercial operations have special requirements, but so far I have found that Private Reserve gas and into the 'fridge works best for keeping wines overnight. Of course, I don't serve 10 wines by the glass, so I can sympathize with the logistical problems of keeping so many wines fresh. I recommend going to the busiest wine bar in town to be sure you're getting the freshest stuff!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home